Immigration Visa LC and EAD Differences Immigration 1 Visa USA

Share it with your friends Like

Thanks! Share it with your friends!

Difference between a Labor Certificate and EAD
A labor certificate (LC) and an Employment Authorization Document (EAD) are both documents that allow a foreign work to work legally in the United States; however, there are differences between the two documents. This article will differentiate the LC and the EAD.

What Is an LC?
U.S. employers file an LC on the behalf of a foreign worker with the Department of Labor (DOL) in order to start the process for a green card. The employer is known as the “petitioner” and the foreign worker is known as the “beneficiary”.

The employer must make the foreign worker’s prospective job known to the public. The employer must certify on the LC that no one qualified from the United State posted for the position. Only then will a LC be able to be filed.

For the second step in the immigration process, after the DOL approves the LC, the employer will file an I-140 petition with the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS). Finally the foreign worker can file a green card application with the USCIS.

What Is an EAD?
An EAD (I-765 application) is issued by the USCIS and allows the carrier of this work authorization document to work for any United States employer. The employer doesn’t have to file anything on behalf of the foreign worker. The foreign worker files the EAD on their own behalf. People who are eligible to file an EAD include: foreign nationals who are applying for their green card, L-2 visa holders and asylum applications.

Summary of Differences Between the LC and EAD
The EAD provides authorization to work. The LC does not.
Foreign workers are not allowed to pay any costs incurred with an LC; whereas, foreign workers pay all expenses with an EAD.
The LC is filed at the beginning of the green card process and the EAD is filed at the last step of the green card process.
In order for the employer to file an LC, a job offer must exist. The EAD can be filed without a job offer.
The DOL does not require a fee to file an LC; whereas the USCIS requires a fee to file an EAD.
The DOL does not allow employers to submit supporting documentation for the LC, but the USCIS requires things such as as a copy of your I-94 Arrival/Departure Record, current visa, and two passport-style photographs.
Need help with any of your immigration documentation? Contact Immigration 1 Visa USA!